By: Katrina Van
Posted on: June 15, 2016
This lentil potato curry is a beginner Indian-inspired dish that takes approximately 1 hour to prepare and makes 4 servings. It’s easy to make and so deliciously addictive, you’ll be coming back for seconds.
Difficulty level: 1.5/5
This recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
- Basmati rice, cooked
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 cup tomato pasta sauce
- 1 tomato
- 2/3 cup coconut milk (canned or regular)
- 1 inch ground ginger
- 2 and 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 small/medium potatoes
- 2 cups cooked lentils (1 cup uncooked) or 2 cups cooked quinoa (1/2 cup uncooked)
- Cook basmati rice and lentils according to package instructions. Drain the lentils and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet on medium heat. Add garlic and onion to the skillet. Cook until garlic is golden brown and onion is translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato, coconut milk, ginger and spices to the skillet and stir.
- When the curry starts to simmer add the potatoes, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir the lentils into the curry and let sit for another 5 minutes.
- Serve curry over basmati rice while hot. Add cilantro on top for a finishing touch and enjoy!
Pro tip: double, triple, or quadruple this recipe and freeze the leftovers for a quick meal.
Share your recreations with me on social media using the hashtag #TOVeggiEats and let me know how it turns out!